Religious

The Monastery of Agios Panteleimon

⇠ Karyes 15km (3 hours)

The Monastery of Agios Panteleimon, also known as a Russian monastery, is built next to the sea, in the middle of the western coast of Mount Athos.
The monastery was founded in the 11th century in a more eastern area. The present building complex was built later on (1765), when the old monastery of Agios Panteleimon was transferred from Paleomonastiro in the present position. It is dedicated to Agios Panteleimon and celebrates on the 27th of July / 9th of August.
The new monastery has really impressive buildings with a lot of floors, high vaults, big bells, etc.

T +30 23770 23252

The Monastery of Agios Panteleimon - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery of Agios Panteleimon - Holy Mountain
The Monastery of Agios Pavlos

⇠ Karyes 25km (5 hours)

The Monastery of Agios Pavlos is the most southern church of the ten monasteries of the western side of Athos peninsula, built in a short distance from the sea. However, it is the only monastery that is close to the mountain Athos, with several strong castles and towers protecting it.
Monk Pavlos Xiropotaminos probably built the monastery in the 10th century on the location of an older church.
T +30 23770 23355, 23250

The Monastery of Agios Pavlos - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery of Agios Pavlos - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Karakalou

⇠ Karyes 17km (3 and 30’ hours)

The Monastery Karakalou, with a high and imposing tower, is located in the southeastern side of Athos peninsula, in a picturesque area with view over the Aegean Sea.
The monastery was founded in the 11th century, probably by a monk named Karakalas. Some people also argue that the monastery was named after a Roman Emperor, Karakalas, who had built here a tower by the sea (211-217).
The monastery is dedicated to the Apostles Peter and Paul and celebrates on the 29th of June / 12th of July.

T +30 23770 23225

The Monastery Karakalou - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Karakalou - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Pantokrator

⇠ Karyes 7,5km (1 and 30’ hours)

The Monastery Pantokrator is situated in a rocky cliff by the sea, in the middle of the eastern coasts of Athos peninsula. The monastery was founded in the 14th century by the Byzantines Alexios and Ioannis with the support of Emperor Ioannis Paleologos V.
The monastery is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ and celebrates on the 6th/19th of August.
T +30 23770 23253

The Monastery Pantokrator - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Pantokrator - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Stavronikita

⇠ Karyes 5km (1 hour)

The Monastery Stavronikita is a high, imposing building with a high tower, as its guard, situated in the middle of the eastern side of Athos peninsula, with a nice view over the Aegean Sea.
According to the tradition of Mount Athos, founder of the monastery is the officer of the Emperor Ioannis Tsimiskis, Nikiphoros Stavronikitas (10th century), who gave the monastery his name.
There are also other interpretations for the foundation and the name of this monastery, which is dedicated to Agios Nikolaos and celebrates on the 6th / 19th of December. According to the ancient tradition, fishermen found the mosaic icon of Agios Nikolaos: an oyster was stuck in the forehead of the face of Agios Nikolaos; when the fishermen took it out, the icon bled!

T +30 23770 23255

The Monastery Stavronikita - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Stavronikita - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Vatopediou

⇠ Karyes 15km (3 hours)

Vatopediou is a big monastery, built like a fortress on the beach, which is situated in the middle of the eastern coast of Athos. The monastery was founded in the 10th century by Athanasios Athonitis’ students. According to tradition, the founder of Vatopediou is the emperor Megas (Great) Theodosius (4th century). Furthermore, the monastery is dedicated to the Evangelism of Virgin Mary and celebrates on March 25 and April 7.
The buildings of the monastery reflect influences of many different periods of time, due to the great number of necessary repairs and renovations that had to be done.
T +30 23770 23219, 23343

The Monastery Vatopediou - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Vatopediou - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Zographou

⇠ Karyes 18km (3 and 30’ hours)

The Monastery Zographou is the northern part of the ten monasteries of the western side of Athos peninsula. It is a wooded area, nearly one hour walk from the sea.
The monastery was founded in the 10th century, in the reign of Leontas Sophos VII. According to tradition, three siblings from Ahrida, in their attempt to dedicate the church to someone, they left a board in the “catholicon” and returned to their cells to pray. When they came back, a miracle had happened. The face of Agios Georgios stood on the board. So, the monastery was dedicated to Agios Georgios, the “Zographos” (Painter) and celebrates on the 23rd of April / 6th of May. Although the “catholicon” of the church was built in 1801, its wall paintings were done in 1817. The wooden iconostasis is exceptional.
T +30 23770 23247

The Monastery Zographou - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Zographou - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Philotheou

⇠ Karyes 12km (2 and 30’ hours)

The Monastery Philotheou is built on the location of an ancient Asclipiion, in a picturesque plain in the eastern part of Athos, nearly one hour away from the harbour (arsanas).
The monastery was founded probably by a monk called Philotheos in the 10th century. It is dedicated to the Evangelism of Virgin Mary and celebrates on the 25th of March / 7th of April.
The monastery was financially supported by the Emperors Andronikos II, Andronikos III and Ioannis Paleologos VI. In this monastery, Agios Kosmas the “Etolos” also stayed.

T +30 23770 23256

The Monastery Philotheou - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Philotheou - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Xenophontos

⇠ Karyes 15km (3 hours)

The Monastery Xenophontos is built in the middle of the western side of Athos peninsula by the coast. Agios Xenophon founded it in the 10th century.
The monastery is dedicated to Agios Georgios and celebrates on the 23rd of April / 6th of May. Like all the other monasteries it suffered a lot of raids by pirates, as well as fires, so it lost a lot of valuable treasures.
The present “catholicon” was built early in the 19th century (1809-1819). It is extremely big with a marvelous marble iconostasis. However, the first “catholicon” from the 10th century, with wall paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries is still preserved. Most of the wall paintings were made by the Cretan painter Antonios.
In the monastery there are a lot of chapels, the oldest of which is the chapel dedicated to Agios Dimitrios, (Saint Demeter) with a wooden impressive iconostasis from the 17th century. The wall paintings of the Refectory were made in the 16th century.
The bell-tower was built in 1814, and the “phiale” in 1908. Finally, the library includes 300 handwritten and 4.000 printed books. Two mosaic icons of Agios Georgios and Agios Dimitrios, pieces of Holy Wood, relics of Saints, the icon of Transfiguration of Jesus Christ, gold-embroidered vestments and holy vessels constitute the valuable heirlooms of the monastery.

T +30 23770 23249, 23630

The Monastery Xenophontos - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Xenophontos - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Simonos Petra

⇠ Karyes 18km (3 and 30’ hours)

The legendary Monastery Simonos Petra or Simonopetra is an extremely imposing seven-floored building, situated on a bluff cliff of the southwestern side of Athos.
The monastery itself is an architectural miracle, the most peculiar and special building in Mount Athos, with a view over Athos from the southeast and the superb colours of the sun and the sea from the west. The monastery was founded in the 13th century by Simonas Myrovlytis, who, according to tradition, was driven to this rocky area by a light he saw on a night at Christmas time! There, he managed to built this monastery, which is considered an architectural miracle. He named it New Bethlehem, but in the end the monastery was named after the stone he used to build it: Simonos.
The monastery is dedicated to the Birth of Jesus Christ and celebrates on the 25th of December / 7th of January.
T +30 23770 23254, 23700

The Monastery Simonos Petra - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Simonos Petra - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Iviron

⇠ Karyes 7,5km (1 and 30’ hour)

The Monastery Iviron is built on the coast, in a picturesque area in the middle of the eastern coast of Mount Athos. It was founded in the 10th century (980) on the location, where, according to tradition, Virgin Mary stopped to ask God to dedicate Mount Athos to herself.
This is why the monastery is dedicated to the Assumption and celebrates on the 15th of August (or August 28). Ioannis Tornikios, the consultant of the emperor Vasillios II, is supposed to be its founder. The monastery was named after the monks (Georgians) from Iviron, students of Athanasios Athonitis. The buildings of the monastery are extremely big and imposing. Two towers, one in the courtyard (1626) and another in the cardinal monastery (1725) protected Iviron from the raids of intruders during the Ottoman Occupation. During the War for Independence in 1821 several monks, such as Patriarch Gregorios V, fought as simple soldiers for freedom.

T +30 23770 23203, 23641

The Monastery Iviron - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Iviron - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Koutloumousiou

⇠ Karyes 1km (10 minutes)

Close to Karyes in the northeastern wooded area of Athos, is located the Monastery Koutloumousiou, which was founded in the 10th century. Since 1393 it is the patriarchal monastery. It is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ and celebrates on the 6th / 19th of August.
In 1821 the leader of the Revolution in Macedonia, Emmanuel Papas, was declared in this monastery governor and supporter of Macedonia.

T +30 23770 23226

The Monastery Koutloumousiou - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Koutloumousiou - Holy Mountain
The Monastery Dohiariou

⇠ Karyes 15km (3 hours)

The Monastery Dohiariou is located in the most northern offshore area of the western side of the Athos peninsula. It was initially founded close the port of Daphni at the end of the 10th - early 11th century, by a “dohiaris” (a person who makes “dohia”, meaning pots and fonts), student of Athanasios Athonitis. This is why the monastery was later called Dohiarios. Later on, it was destroyed by pirates. The monks who survived, built the present monastery. The high tower was built in the early 17th century.
The monastery is dedicated to the Archangels Mikhail and Gabriel and celebrates on the 8th / 21st of November.

T +30 23770 23245

The Monastery Dohiariou - Holy Mountain - Greece
The Monastery Dohiariou - Holy Mountain
Megisti Lavra

⇠ Karyes 35km (7 hours)

Megisti Lavra is the most ancient, first in order and biggest monastery of all. It was founded in 963 by the monk Athanasios Athonitis with the financial support of the emperors Nikiphoros Phokas and Ioannis Tsimiskis. The monastery is dedicated to its founder, Agios Athanasios Athonitis and celebrates on the 5th/18th of July (according to the old style calendar of Mount Athos).
Megisti Lavra is a big complex of buildings, built on a picturesque cliff on the southeastern edge of Athos. The mountain seems to protect and guard the monastery from the west, whereas to the east it looks to the endless Aegean Sea. Among the group of buildings of the monastery one can easily spot out the superb Tower of Tsimiskis.

T +30 23770 23241, 23786

Megisti Lavra - Holy Mountain - Greece
Megisti Lavra - Holy Mountain
Ναός Παλαιάς Μητρόπολης Έδεσσας

Στη συνοικία Βαρόσι της Έδεσσας σώζεται ο παλαιός μητροπολιτικός ναός της πόλης, αφιερωμένος αρχικά στη Σοφία του Θεού. Στις μέρες μας διατηρείται στον αρχιτεκτονικό τύπο της τρίκλιτης ξυλόστεγης βασιλικής με υπερυψωμένο το μεσαίο κλίτος και νάρθηκα στα δυτικά. Αλλεπάλληλες, όμως, φάσεις επισκευών έχουν αλλοιώσει την αρχική μορφή του μνημείου, που με βάση τον τοιχογραφικό του διάκοσμο χρονολογείται το αργότερο στα τέλη του 14ου αιώνα.

Στο εσωτερικό του ναού οι σωζόμενες τοιχογραφίες ανήκουν σε δύο περιόδους. Οι παλαιότερες, που χρονολογούνται στο διάστημα 1375-1385 ή 1389, εκτείνονται και στα τρία κλίτη και σώζονται αποσπασματικά. Τμήμα τους διατηρείται και στο χώρο του ιερού βήματος, σε πολλά σημεία, μάλιστα, έχουν επικαλυφθεί εξ ολοκλήρου από τις τοιχογραφίες του νεότερου στρώματος. Το κύριο τμήμα του εικονογραφικού προγράμματος της περιόδου αυτής αναπτύσσεται στο κεντρικό κλίτος του ναού, σε τρεις ζώνες. Η ανώτερη περιλαμβάνει παραστάσεις του βασικού χριστολογικού κύκλου, διατηρημένες μόνο στη νότια κιονοστοιχία, και η μεσαία σκηνές από τα Πάθη και τον κύκλο της Ανάστασης. Στη ζώνη αυτή, στο δυτικό τοίχο ενσωματώνονται και τρεις παραστάσεις από το Θεομητορικό κύκλο, η Κοίμηση, που δεν σώζεται σήμερα, πλαισιωμένη από τη Γέννηση και τα Εισόδια της Θεοτόκου. Η κατώτερη ζώνη, που διακόπτεται από τα τοξωτά ανοίγματα, φιλοξενεί ολόσωμους αγίους, ενώ στα εσωρράχια των τοξοστοιχιών εικονίζονται ανά δύο ολόσωμοι προφήτες. Στο νότιο και βόρειο κλίτος οι σωζόμενες τοιχογραφίες περιορίζονται μόνο στο βόρειο και στο νότιο τοίχο, αντίστοιχα. Ενδιαφέρον παρουσιάζει και η εικονογραφία των τεσσάρων πεσσοτοίχων του ναού. Ο Χριστός και η Θεοτόκος, ο Πέτρος και ο Παύλος κοσμούν τις επιφάνειες των δύο πεσσοτοίχων του ιερού, ενώ ολόσωμοι άγιοι κοσμούν τις αντίστοιχες επιφάνειες και των δυτικών πεσσοτοίχων. Αποκαλυπτική για την αρχική ονομασία του ναού είναι η κτητορική παράσταση στη νότια όψη του νοτιοδυτικού πεσσού. Εικονίζεται ο ανώνυμος χορηγός, συνοδευόμενος από τα παιδιά του, να προσφέρει ομοίωμα του ναού στο Χριστό, που φέρει την προσωνυμία ''Σοφία Θεού''. Η όλη οργάνωση του εικονογραφικού προγράμματος της περιόδου αυτής ακολουθεί τη διάταξη και την ανάπτυξη εικονογραφικών κύκλων ναών του τέλους του 13ου και των αρχών του 14ου αιώνα, που ανήκουν στο καλλιτεχνικό περιβάλλον της Θεσσαλονίκης και της Κωνσταντινούπολης. Με εργαστήρια των πόλεων αυτών, αλλά του δευτέρου μισού του 14ου αιώνα, συνδέονται οι τοιχογραφίες και από την άποψη της τεχνοτροπίας. Παράλληλα αποτελούν και σημαντικό terminus ante quem για τη χρoνολόγηση του μνημείου. Στο 17ο αιώνα χρονολογούνται οι παραστάσεις του δεύτερου στρώματος διακόσμησης, στο χώρο του ιερού βήματος, στη βόρεια κιονοστοιχία και ψηλά στο φωταγωγό. Την περίοδο αυτή της τουρκοκρατίας και πιθανόν στο διάστημα 1598-1688, ο ναός μετονομάσθηκε και αφιερώθηκε στην Κοίμηση της Θεοτόκου.

Στο μνημείο έχουν πραγματοποιηθεί εργασίες αποκατάστασης του νάρθηκα και της νότιας στοάς. Παράλληλα εκτελέσθηκαν ανασκαφές στο εσωτερικό του ναού, προκειμένου να αποσαφηνισθούν οι οικοδομικές φάσεις του κτίσματος. Τέλος στο πλαίσιο της συντήρησης του τοιχογραφικού διακόσμου πραγματοποιήθηκαν εργασίες απομάκρυνσης των επιχρισμάτων και προληπτικής συντήρησης του νεότερου στρώματος τοιχογραφιών, στη βόρεια και νότια πλευρά του κεντρικού κλίτους, στα ανώτερα σημεία του ναού.

 

http://odysseus.culture.gr

Ναός Παλαιάς Μητρόπολης Έδεσσας - Ελλάδα
Ναός Παλαιάς Μητρόπολης Έδεσσας

Pages